Using sustainable products has never been more critical, and this applies in the operating room as well. Every product used by surgeons in an OR should be sustainable, from masks to gowns to lighting. Investing in sustainable surgical headlamps can bring more energy-efficient practices into your hospital or operating suite, reducing waste and the depletion of resources.
How Does a Product Contribute to Sustainability?
To be considered a sustainable product, it must help reduce waste rather than create more. One of the ways BFW contributes to sustainable practices is the introduction of LEDs and their efficiency and longevity. By reducing the replaceable components and decreasing the number of lights needed year to year, BFW helps reduce electronic waste. Another way BFW contributes is by reducing the non-recyclable packaging used to ship its products. By reducing the amount of non-recyclable materials used in packaging, BFW helps contribute to sustainability at the supply chain level.
What are the Environmental Benefits of Using BFW LED Headlights and Light Sources?
In addition to being sustainable, numerous environmental benefits come from using BFW LED headlight systems in your operating suite. At its core, there is far less energy used with LED technology than with Xenon or other technologies. For every Xenon light source removed, there is enough power for at least 4 LED light source systems. For every 6 Xenon sources removed, there is enough power to run a CT scanner.
LED lamps have a factory specified life span of 50,000 hours. Not only is this more cost-effective for hospitals, but it also limits and reduces the amount of waste created. Xenon lamps begin to dim after 50 hours of use. After 1,000 hours, the Xenon bulbs should be changed. There is a cost involved to remove and replace Xenon lamps as well as to discard them, especially in certain states such as California that has enacted regulations regarding Universal Waste.
LED lamps require replacement after approximately 15 years. By choosing BFW LED headlight systems, you can illuminate the surgical site without sacrificing quality or harming the environment.
BFW Meets Essential Waste Criteria
You’ll find that BFW has a dedication to sustainability in several ways that meets critical Waste Criteria:
- BFW’s headlamps are not regulated as a state or federal hazardous waste when they are used as intended
- BFW packaging is recyclable, reducing the amount of waste that must go to landfills
- The primary packaging used for BFW headlamps contains more than 10% post-consumer recycled material.
- The secondary packaging used with BFW’s headlamps contains more than 30% post-consumer recycled material.
- BFW’s packaging has received Forest Stewardship Council Certification, which certifies that products come from responsibly managed forests that provide social, economic, and environmental benefits. The FSC offers a worldwide foundation for forest management standards, including the FSC National Standard.
- BFW’s packaging is labeled with consumer-friendly recycling information to ensure that consumers know it is recyclable.
BFW LED headlights are both an excellent choice from an environmental standpoint and a cost-effective one. Along with their comfort and excellent illumination, BFW is the ideal option for Surgical Headlight Systems in any facility.
Are you ready to reduce your environmental impact? You can easily achieve this by choosing BFW surgical headlights.
Learn More About BFW